Social media photo sharing platform, Pinterest has released it’s annual report that looks at what is and will be trending in the coming months. And guess what is trending, especially for anyone looking to relax and take some time out from their busy lives? Travel trends and ASMR are subjects that both feature prominently.
“This year, people will plan trips that take it extra slow—and help them to catch up on some solid shuteye. Gen Z and Millennials will retreat to laid-back locales that offer the opposite of a jam-packed itinerary”.Pinterest Trends Report 2024
For people who need to sleep while travelling, the report states that an upward trend of 165% will seek out Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response or ASMR to sleep, furthermore their primary objective for getting away will be to unplug from the busy world we live in.
What is ASMR I hear you ask?
Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) is a phenomenon characterised by a tingling sensation that typically starts on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck and upper spine. Many people report experiencing a sense of relaxation, calmness, and positive emotions when exposed to ASMR triggers. While the scientific understanding is still evolving, individuals commonly cite several emotional benefits including:
Relaxation and Stress Reduction
- ASMR videos often feature gentle sounds, soft-spoken voices, and slow, deliberate movements. These elements can induce a state of relaxation and help reduce stress. Many people turn to ASMR content as a form of relaxation, particularly during periods of high stress or anxiety.
Improved Sleep Quality
- It has gained popularity as a sleep aid. The calming and soothing nature of ASMR content can help individuals unwind before bedtime, potentially improving sleep quality. People who struggle with insomnia or difficulty falling asleep may find these videos helpful in promoting a sense of tranquility.
Enhanced Mood and Positivity
- ASMR triggers may elicit positive emotional responses. The tingling sensation and the focus on gentle, comforting sounds can contribute to an overall sense of well-being. Individuals often describe feeling happier, calmer, and more content after engaging with ASMR content.
Alleviation of Loneliness and Social Connection
- Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response content often includes role-playing scenarios or interpersonal interactions, creating a sense of companionship for viewers. For those who experience feelings of loneliness, it can offer a virtual connection and a comforting presence, contributing to an improved mood.
Mindfulness and Presence
- ASMR experiences can encourage mindfulness by directing attention to the present moment. The deliberate sounds and actions in ASMR videos may help individuals focus on the here and now, providing a temporary escape from worries and distractions.
Creativity and Inspiration
- Some people find that ASMR triggers enhance their creativity or inspire a sense of calm focus. This can be particularly useful for individuals engaged in creative pursuits, such as writing, drawing, or other artistic activities.
Sensory Pleasure and Enjoyment
- ASMR triggers often involve pleasurable sensory experiences, such as tapping, scratching, or crinkling sounds. Engaging with these sensory stimuli can bring about a sense of enjoyment and satisfaction, contributing to a positive emotional state.
It’s important to note that individual responses to Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response vary, and not everyone experiences the tingling sensation or finds the content enjoyable. Additionally, more research is needed to fully understand the psychological and physiological mechanisms behind ASMR and its emotional benefits. For those who do find it beneficial, incorporating ASMR into a self-care routine may contribute to improved emotional well-being.
About The Author
An experienced therapist, Jille Tringham is the owner of Meditate Place and has years of personal and industry expertise. Her unique therapeutic approach can offer long term release and the ability to cope with emotional issues that cause daily setbacks and uncertainty in your life. Jille Tringham has a number of years experience in human behaviour both in a commercial setting and as a therapist. She provides therapies from her Birmingham base to release you from your day to day challenges, as well as Life Coaching and Career Mentoring because she understands the physical and emotional strains that spill into all areas of life.